At St Thomas More our students play an active role in matters which will affect the student body as a whole. There are many ways in which students can get involved and make a difference, most notably being the Student Council or by becoming an Ambassador. St Thomas More Student Council is made up of students from years 7-13 and is the voice of the students; they represent student opinion and recommend changes around the school that will benefit the school community. They play a very important part in all interview processes for new teaching staff and even for some support staff. They meet with visitors and represent our student body – and school – with pride.
St Thomas More Catholic Academy Student Councils is about:
* Developing a partnership that includes all members of the school community.
* Exploring and experiencing what it means to be a “good citizen” of your own community.
* Enabling students to take an active part in school decision-making.
* Giving students the experience of being respected and listened to.
* Learning how to present a reasoned argument even when this may be unpopular.
* Learning what behaviour is appropriate in different situations developing peer support for appropriate behaviour.
Students as Learning Partners
As a school, we recognise that students become successful learners through reflection, questioning and collaboration.
The Student Council has been flourishing and we are looking forward to becoming even more involved in the processes of the school over the next terms.
Most recently, the Student Council chose the new tie for the whole student body
The council draws representatives from each of the tutor groups in Year 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 and these are complemented by the sixth form student leadership team. We seek to enrich the learning and school experience of all those who attend St Thomas More Catholic Academy.
On a half termly basis, the Student Council will usually meet to discuss covering the following areas: Teaching and Learning; Student Support; The Community and Extra-Curricular; Curriculum. Representative members from each group will also convene at times in order to participate to the appointment of new staff or to meet with visitors to the school
We are currently in the process of restructuring this year's Student representatives.